• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

J-Brace Installation, Yikes

Walker

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Gas Man
It may not be verticle loads. I think it's to prevent lateral movement. " Ford recommends the installation of a load box reinforcement bracket kit to improve the structural performance of the bed when used in extreme off-road conditions."
So those of us that will never have more than a tonneau cover should be fine without this I guess? I might go off road a little…
Sponsored

Mike9816

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 F-250 XLT Lariat 4X4, 2018 Escape 2.0L 4X4
Occupation
Retired
So those of us that will never have more than a tonneau cover should be fine without this I guess? I might go off road a little…
You're probably right. Time for a consensus of the word "EXTREME". If graded dirt roads were a 1 and Rubican a 10. Maybe a 7 or 8 would be extreme?
I will have a FX4 real soon and ordered a Leer shell. I will get the brackets and don't plan on extreme conditions.

Moto26

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, '17 F150
I find it insane that Ford seems to have forgotten what "trucks" are for. It would be 10 times easier to just install this brace on the production line than to have some dealership hack mechanic throw it on after the fact.

I've never heard of any pickup truck ever that you couldn't put an aftermarket bed cap/camper shell on it without going through the tedious process of adding a piece like this. What a pain in the ass.

Shame on Ford.

Last edited:

Sponsored

pablo94sc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
It may not be verticle loads. I think it's to prevent lateral movement. " Ford recommends the installation of a load box reinforcement bracket kit to improve the structural performance of the bed when used in extreme off-road conditions."
I plan to drive it like it was advertised to do. That's why I ordered a Raptor instead of waiting for a Tremor or getting an XLT. So WTF is this nonsense of needing extra braces for things like a rack or shell, and again for off roading? It's a truck, FFS, not a sedan. What does Ford think people are going to be doing with it? This is truly some poor thinking on Ford's part. SMH

pablo94sc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
I find it insane that Ford seems to have forgotten what "trucks" are for. It would be 10 times easier to just install this brace on the production line then to have some dealership hack mechanic throw it on after the fact.

I've never heard of any pickup truck ever that you couldn't put an aftermarket bed cap/camper shell on it without going through the tedious process of adding a piece like this. What a pain in the ass.

Shame on Ford.
Indeed!

olefordguy

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Expedition Limited, 2022 Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
So what would happen if there was too much weight on the bed side? Has this happened and are there failure pictures somewhere?
See post #19, it has picture of damage I assume is due to no j brace

Rapture2423

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor
Got my braces with member points from buying truck. Just do that, get it done, and move on. Ford sucks for a lot of reasons but here we are.

richman555

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda CRV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Do other truck manufacturers have j-braces straight from the factory?

Sponsored

sikedsyko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 RRaptor, 05 Z4
Ordered the braces from Ford today and got an email that they're on backorder with no eta. Greaaaaaaaaat.
Sponsored