Sponsored

Powertrain maintenance - anyone had it done yet?

alrashid2

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 4, 2026
Threads
57
Messages
493
Reaction score
327
Location
PA
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ford Ranger XLT (2.7L V6)
Hey guys. I'm planning ahead here. I use to maintain all of my vehicles myself but I've gotten older, and new cars have gotten more complicated. Tie that into the fact that our Rangers don't have a proper transmission dipstick or drain plug, and the diffs don't have drain plugs, I'm going to let someone else do this maintenance for me. I'll stick to spark plugs, oil changes, and brakes.

I'm years away from needing these things, but like to plan ahead. The owner's manual has some wild mileage intervals for the following maintenance but I'm going to stick to doing these things every 60,000 miles instead. Below are the maintenance items and the estimate I got from my dealer:

  • Transmission fluid service: $400
  • Front differential fluid change: $200
  • Rear differential fluid change: $200
  • Transfer case fluid change: $200

Just curious if any of you have had these things done and if so, when did you do them and how much did it cost you?

The $400 transmission service seems a bit steep to me but maybe I'm just ignorant. Thinking of calling AAMCO and seeing what they charge, but also not sure if this is something I should let Ford do. I'm coming from a Subaru where the CVTs were basically a dealer-only service item. Thanks all!

Update: I called AAMCO and they quoted me $325 for the transmission fluid change. Savings of $75 but they're about 30 minutes farther than my dealer, so not sure if it's worth it for an additional 1 hour round trip.
Sponsored

 
Last edited:

stemplar

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2023
Threads
19
Messages
806
Reaction score
1,169
Location
Pennsylvania
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Lariat 2.7
In preparation for the mainenance mentioned in the OP I bought the rear diff cover from the Ford Performance catalog because it has a drain plug and fill port. I also bought a mishimoto transmission pan because it also has a drain plug. So my first changes of each will be messy, then future maintenance will be more manageable. I don't yet have a clue how easy or hard the front diff will be to service.
 

Geo8866

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2026
Threads
6
Messages
124
Reaction score
200
Location
Pennsylvania
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Lariat FX4
If you are capable of doing so, I can save you $400 - The transfer case and front diff do have drain and fill plugs. (At least mine do.) It is probably the simplest maintenance you can do, at least it was on my Maverick. I haven't done them yet on this truck.
 

Sharpie223

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
75
Reaction score
91
Location
E.Wa
Vehicle(s)
In-between atm
You can also get an extended transmission dipstick on eBay. They are listed as being for the F150 but all reports I've seen say they work for any of the 10 speeds. I say extended because the transmission technically contains one, it's just not accessible from the engine bay.

I'd stay away from the dealer if you can, I personally (from experience with multiple dealers) would never trust them to do the job right. I wouldn't trust somewhere like AAMCO to use the right fluid.
 

Sponsored
OP
OP
alrashid2

alrashid2

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 4, 2026
Threads
57
Messages
493
Reaction score
327
Location
PA
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ford Ranger XLT (2.7L V6)
I did all you are asking about and they are simple to do minus the dip stick right next to the exhaust. 200 for all fluids.
Good to know, thanks all!

@BrrRaptor just curious, what mileage did you do all that service?
 

bgn

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
106
Reaction score
164
Location
Seattle
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4
Did all fluids but brake fluid and coolant on my Maverick. Plan to do the same here.
 
OP
OP
alrashid2

alrashid2

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 4, 2026
Threads
57
Messages
493
Reaction score
327
Location
PA
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ford Ranger XLT (2.7L V6)
Right on. I guess I'm just a bit anxious as before this, I had a Subaru with the stupid CVT which had an attached Front Differential.

It had 7 different drain/fill/random plugs on it. One night while under it and doing my maintenance, I filled the front diff from the driver's side plug which is an exact mirror image of the passenger side plug - except that the driver's side, despite being on the Diff side and not on the CVT side, internally drains into the transmission instead of the diff...

Ended up driving for a week with an empty diff and an overfilled, contaminated CVT. It was like the engineers purposefully made it confusing so you couldn't DIY. That spooked me a bit!!
 

BrrRaptor

Well-Known Member
First Name
Scott
Joined
Jul 2, 2024
Threads
16
Messages
339
Reaction score
374
Location
Raleigh Nc.
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor
Right on. I guess I'm just a bit anxious as before this, I had a Subaru with the stupid CVT which had an attached Front Differential.

It had 7 different drain/fill/random plugs on it. One night while under it and doing my maintenance, I filled the front diff from the driver's side plug which is an exact mirror image of the passenger side plug - except that the driver's side, despite being on the Diff side and not on the CVT side, internally drains into the transmission instead of the diff...

Ended up driving for a week with an empty diff and an overfilled, contaminated CVT. It was like the engineers purposefully made it confusing so you couldn't DIY. That spooked me a bit!!
Ours is pretty straight forward. As another person replied I swapped my tranny pan for a drain plug one for next time. Might as well since you are dropping it to drain. Wear some heat resistant gloves when checking level on granny and you'll be good!
 

Sponsored

superj

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jason
Joined
Feb 8, 2025
Threads
44
Messages
4,006
Reaction score
3,873
Location
Corpus christi texas
Vehicle(s)
2024 ford ranger, 2019 wrangler, 2018 mazda3
Occupation
Retired
The dealer did my trans fluid but I did the rear diff last month. Its jat as easy as any other vehicle diff fluid change.

I actually did my ranger and my wife's wrangler at the same time. Her wrangler rear diff is the same as my ranger. She has a 2019 wrangler
 

Ag3ntC00p3r

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2024
Threads
6
Messages
410
Reaction score
495
Location
Wisconsin
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Product Manager
For those interested, RockAuto has Motorcraft XY75W85QL synthetic gear oil for $27.79/qt.
 
 







Top