• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

DirtyRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Ranger
Somewhat serious question asked in a silly way: If the F-150 engine isn't moving the needle on towing capability from 7500 in the 2.3l, what's the perk outside of "faster vroom vroom?"

The more I am asking for is the idea that this reveal is supposed to serve as a statement about where Ford sees both themselves and the midsize truck market going. It is well and good to be working on hybrids and long beds, but Ford needed to show those off at the reveal; even if they had a caveat similar to the 2.7l engine's late availability with a "model year 2025 availability." Toyota could come out and say their hybrid is late availability or next year availability, but it doesn't matter because it becomes their known trajectory.

400w is enough to run a laptop, not a house. More legroom, BLIS towing, and a 360 camera are great, but they aren't statements about where they're going with this massive aesthetic redesign. And this reveal will fizzle in the face of the Tacoma's.
We can gloss over the silliness of questioning the validity less "vroom" in a car community... A 5.3 Silverado in a can tow the same as the 6.2, and I'd still take the 6.2

You're right about Ford not announcing a hybrid despite Ford Authority, Motortrend, etc.. confirming it's coming. It's not a mystery that Ford struggles to introduce new ideas. But the point is we know it's coming.

But the average buyer doesn't care about trajectory, they care about creature comforts and utility. Shy of something drastically different, I don't think a hybrid announcement is going to put the Tacoma at the top.
Sponsored

Chris D Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 and Edge
Occupation
Network Operations Manager
I think they brought what they had to bring to be competative with chevy. 2.7 option, updated interior and most of all the tail gate damper. The other thing I liked was the lay flat back seat and people seem to really like the seats and the room. I think GM models are a notch above with features and options at this point.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
A bit confused (not unusual for me), why so many think the reveal was a flop? The truck's been out for over a year overseas, so not sure what everyone was expecting. The hybrid option in the first year was just wishful thinking. All sources pointed to it coming out later.
The new truck improves on the 5G in almost every way and I can't think of any option that the twins have, that the Ranger doesn't. The Ranger has even more options than Chevy's top gun ZR2. I don't see the Tacoma having more features than the Ranger....unless you're hung up on having a bluetooth speaker.
I do give weight to the disappointment of not having a supercab or longbed option. I can see a need for that, but those may still come out. As mentioned, we have seen test trucks. My only disappointment was the missing 4A, because it's on the overseas trucks, but I also think that'll end up in the trucks as well. I don't see the Tremor being gone as an issue. It's only aftermarket parts put on by the factory. You can get the same thing done to any of the models for the same price or less...and not void your warranty.........but I suspect the Tremor will be back also, in 2025.
I think Ford felt it was important to reveal the Ranger before the Tacoma, even if they didn't have every option ready to go from day one.
In my opinion, all the new trucks are a MASSIVE step up from what we previously had available and the "best" one is simply going to be personal preference.

Gator21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 & Wrangler
Per Raiti's Rides video: no ventilated seats, even in the Lariat trim level. What an absolute disappointment!
I saw that, but still holding slim hope until the order guide comes out. No rear air vents and no cooled seats is not ideal in Florida, especially if you get black leather seats.

Sponsored

Snkrjeff020

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi RS3
Occupation
Medical Scientist
I saw that, but still holding slim hope until the order guide comes out. No rear air vents and no cooled seats is not ideal in Florida, especially if you get black leather seats.
I'm really just hoping that is the pre production issue, because no rear air vents is kind of unacceptable for a 60K vehicle.

I think the ROW model has rear vents, can anyone confirm?

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I think they brought what they had to bring to be competative with chevy. 2.7 option, updated interior and most of all the tail gate damper. The other thing I liked was the lay flat back seat and people seem to really like the seats and the room. I think GM models are a notch above with features and options at this point.
Just curious as to what options GM has that the Ranger doesn't? The only thing I can think of is ventilated seats, 4A and the heads up display, but the "heads up" (as well as power passenger seat) is only available on the GMC, not the Chevy. The Ranger has Pro-trailer, power rear window and power passenger seat.........so feature-wise it's kind of a wash.

JimS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ID.4, Sienna
I like it a lot. It has plenty of creature comforts for me, and latest infotainment system. I couldn't care less about missing power/heated/ventilated this or that.

Things I really like over previous version:
  • 10.4" ground clearance (standard on 4x4?)
  • 38" rear legroom (that's a big jump, almost too much if trying to keep vehicle footprint reasonable)
  • 1700 lbs max payload on crew 4x4
  • 4' width between wheel wells
  • Trailer brake controller option
  • Either engine option is good for me. Kind of depends how stuffed 2.7 is in engine bay and if offered on lower trims without a bunch of extra options required.
What I HATE: 18 g. fuel tank; major bummer especially if hauling or towing, basically kept me from buying 5G, should be at least 21 like other midsize; would be really nice to have optional larger tank;

I'll seriously compare this to Chevy Colorado Trail Boss. Also want to see new Tacoma and Honda Ridgeline Trail Sport. I'd probably go with latter if has full size spare, front tow point, and another inch of ground clearance.

TheQuixotic1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick, 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV.
Occupation
ATC
We can gloss over the silliness of questioning the validity less "vroom" in a car community... A 5.3 Silverado in a can tow the same as the 6.2, and I'd still take the 6.2

You're right about Ford not announcing a hybrid despite Ford Authority, Motortrend, etc.. confirming it's coming. It's not a mystery that Ford struggles to introduce new ideas. But the point is we know it's coming.

But the average buyer doesn't care about trajectory, they care about creature comforts and utility. Shy of something drastically different, I don't think a hybrid announcement is going to put the Tacoma at the top.
I believe "smiles per gallon" can be just as important as miles per gallon for a lot of people, but I was genuinely wondering if outside of that metric if the 2.7l will provide anything the 2.3l doesn't. I have heard that both engines are great for what they are, but I didn't know if the 2.3l had some additional limitation that the 2.7l cures.

The average car buyer doesn't immediately and immensely care about trajectory, but they do hear about it and are swayed by it. Creature comforts and utility: ventilated seats, moon roof, grab handles, a range of colors that at least match the other vehicle it is being built alongside of. I think those are all valid things to bring up and ask why the heck they aren't included in a vehicle reveal that went through a massive redesign for the 2024 model year.

Ford brought the Ranger's design up from the late 2000's to the late 2010's here with many improved features from the previous model, but they absolutely dropped the ball by omitting some features in the reveal for the fanatics to fawn over and talk about, which eventually works its way down to the average buyer. It is entirely plausible that there will be packages that include many things that have been mentioned by everyone here, but when they leave them out of the "reveal" then they are doing themselves and their customers a disservice.

I am not saying they served us a turd sandwich. But I am saying it is irresponsible of them to serve us a nice frozen dinner and think we will be excited over it because we're moving up from questionable expired leftovers.

Sponsored

Muffin1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SC 4X4 STX
No mention of a SCab option, I know they are a small amount of total production but personally liked the look and proportions with the perfect size 6 ft bed, I’m :(

DirtyRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Ranger
all the new trucks are a MASSIVE step up from what we previously had available
We can all agree on this. It's nice to have midsizes that aren't 95hp 55mph sheds on wheels.

Reactions: DHH