• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
In short, Tacoma will remain the king / sales leader.
Without a doubt. They actually have a decent truck now. How they managed such a dominance with the piece of crap they had, is beyond me.
Sponsored

Reactions: MJE

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew, '16 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
As it sits right now, the Taco or Frontier are your only options for a 6' bed. I suspect Ford will still come out with one. It's just a question of how long can you wait with all that money burning a hole in your pocket. ;) :crackup:
Thatā€™s funny! Iā€™m more of a saver, not a spender. Itā€™s going to be how much longer can I stand driving and old gas guzzler than having cash in my savings. The hybrid wonā€™t be available until next year (late winter/early spring), so Iā€™m already looking at another year of waiting for the Trailhunter. šŸ˜©

I do like the 6G Ranger interior much better and Ranger appears to have more rear seat legroom? So Chop Chop Ford!! If they can respond with something comparable to the Trailhunter (SuperCrew longbed Tremor) in the 6 months, I might just stick around as a Ford truck guy another 30 years???

Last edited:
Reactions: DHH

AlloyPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Laramie Sport
Looks like the max towing is 6500lbs. Pretty low compared to the competition.
As it sits right now, the Taco or Frontier are your only options for a 6' bed. I suspect Ford will still come out with one. It's just a question of how long can you wait with all that money burning a hole in your pocket. ;) :crackup:

I was really surprised by that. The Hybrid is only 6000lbs, which surprised me even more. The Taco tow rating was already low and they dropped it even lower in the new models. I understand not trying to chase "best in class", but at least be competitive. I'm very disappointed, because I thought I had Ford, GM, and Toyota to chose from, but 6000lbs is so close to what I will be towing that it doesn't leave me any wriggle room.
I guess they figure that people who really want to tow big are buying full size. People who buy smaller trucks want features. That could be a good thought process. I mean, look at the new Colorado. EVERYTHING is an option. Even cruise control is an option. It's ridiculous. The Taco is loaded in every trim as standard equipment. Even has adaptive cruise and full safety suite standard across the board. That's much better packaging on a truck of that size IMO.

As far as the red interior on Pro, I LOVE IT. It's a refreshing change in a segment full of a sea of black and grey.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I guess they figure that people who really want to tow big are buying full size. People who buy smaller trucks want features. That could be a good thought process. I mean, look at the new Colorado. EVERYTHING is an option. Even cruise control is an option. It's ridiculous. The Taco is loaded in every trim as standard equipment. Even has adaptive cruise and full safety suite standard across the board. That's much better packaging on a truck of that size IMO.

As far as the red interior on Pro, I LOVE IT. It's a refreshing change in a segment full of a sea of black and grey.

That is exactly right. If I am going to tow something big or need a bigger payload I will buy another full size.

I think the Raptor is great but I do not need 400 hp. After that it seems like they just do not hit the mark.

Almost seems like Ford spent so much time with the Raptor to have bragging rights they did not see what the general population wants. Raptor is a small segment. I am not bashing the Raptor it is great for those who want this kind of truck.

The way the Colorado does it though is actually more expensive in most cases. Even rear defrost is a option. Something like heated seats are not even a option on the Colorado trail boss which is just stupid.

People want features. Also people who do more off-roading buy the smaller trucks they fit better down trails and are lighter.

You know after a launch this forum should be hopping and it is not. That says something.

Honestly none of the trucks check all the boxes for me. Personally not excited about any of them.

The worst thing is the price of them now will force allot of people back to cars and such.

Last edited:

Sponsored

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Looks like a New Edge version of the old truck I really dislike the extremely long hood.

DirtyRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Ranger
This is where I eat my words. I am thoroughly impressed. The Proā€™s seats looks like something out of a sci-if movie. Solid stack of features. Not wild on the looks, itā€™s a bit gill-y but the hybrid 4 is gonna hopefully gonna show some great fuel economy.

Wags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor (Soon)
I think the Raptor is the best looking truck, inside and out, however I wish it had a power tailgate, power running boards and vented seats like the Taco. I'm still ordering a Raptor and if I don't get it by the time the Taco is out I will buy one.

LuckyMonkey7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Lightning
This will make the decision hard.
Taco has butt AC, 6' bed option with 4 door, hybrid option, and auto lsd in 2wd
Ranger has a better looking interior but no butt AC, the taco one is only a step behind in the looks department. Ranger bed is 4' between wheel wells, taco might have that too, but it hasn't been stated from what I can see. Exterior looks are comparable imo. Ford 2.7 is really attractive.
Tuning and modification ability is probably going to be the same in the aftermarket.

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
In short, Tacoma will remain the king / sales leader.
Toyota put a lot of effort into this to remain #1 in midsized trucks and conquest new buyers. Ford offers an updated midsized truck for Ford guys with blue blood. They look at this market differently because it's a big deal for Toyota and for Ford it's just to use up excess manufacturing space at the Bronco plant.

Sponsored

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

That could be their thought process but I'm in the category of 1) Want to tow 2) I want features 3) I don't want or need a full size.

Could I get a camper that fits within the rating of the tacoma? Probably...but considering you should only push ~80% of that tow rating to be safe, that really doesn't give much wiggle room for camper options. I'll gladly splurge on a fully loaded mid-size, but there's plenty of reasons I'm staying far from a full-size.

Regardless, despite some cool features on the tacoma i think this reveal is pretty underwhelming and good luck even getting one without ADM. The interior is hideous and the exterior looks decent but there's way too many random "cybertruck" angles that don't make any sense. The non-functional hoodscoop is tacky. This just makes it easier on me when I finally buy, GM vs Ford.

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4Runner, 2019 CR-V, 2017 Civic, 2006 Explorer
Toyota put a lot of effort into this to remain #1 in midsized trucks and conquest new buyers. Ford offers an updated midsized truck for Ford guys with blue blood. They look at this market differently because it's a big deal for Toyota and for Ford it's just to use up excess manufacturing space at the Bronco plant.
I'm pretty sure Ford doesn't appoach any of its vehicles as oh well, we'll just revamp a model (i.e., spend millions of dollars) and build it to use up some execess capacity at a particular plant. If Ford could dominate the mid-size they would. That said, I agree to an extent. The mid-size segment I'm confident means more to Toyota. Therefore, I think it's probably accurate to say Toyota is giving 100% effort to win. Within the confines of their budget, Ford probably is too. But, I don't think Ford is willing to go all-in to win.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I'm pretty sure Ford doesn't appoach any of its vehicles as oh well, we'll just revamp a model (i.e., spend millions of dollars) and build it to use up some execess capacity at a particular plant. If Ford could dominate the mid-size they would. That said, I agree to an extent. The mid-size segment I'm confident means more to Toyota. Therefore, I think it's probably accurate to say Toyota is giving 100% effort to win. Within the confines of their budget, Ford probably is too. But, I don't think Ford is willing to go all-in to win.

I do not think they want to dominate it unless they can without hurting F150. I honestly just think they want a shoe in it to be in the market. I do not think they want to knock the F150 sales down period. F150 sales are not top they loose years of bragging rights as the top selling truck. Might sound crazy but sometimes feels like Ford new CEO cares more about bragging rights than overall sales. I know it is stupid but hey. I mean look at the Ranger Raptor and what they put into a niche market. Now look at the other models. I think it is all about F150 sales. I think there will be shortages of the Ranger unless it doesn't sell well because Ford will give most of its recourses to the F150. You know through covid my dealer had F150's but almost no Rangers other than a a handful of higher trims.

ssjx7squall

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
Omg that interior is hideous.. I don't like it on any of them especially the TRD pro. That screen looks like a afterthought. I like the way on the new ranger the screen looks integrated and part of the dash.

Exterior looks OK. Looks funky from the side but overall I like the exterior better on Taco.

Lots of cool options. Manual, power steps, power tailgate etc.

I think Ford should worry. Certainly a lot more cool things. New Ranger just feels like Ford cut to many corners and didn't think outside the box at all. Still halogen lights on most models, still no push start on some models.

Still like the Gmc Canyon looks the best. Ford Ranger interior a little more.
Ford definitely has the best interior

AlloyPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Laramie Sport
-6' bed option
-2400 watt generator onboard
-Gimbal system in the seats that prevents your head from bobbing while offroad
-45 watt fast charging USB ports
-Old Man Emu suspension from the factory
-ARB bumpers from the factory
-Front sway bar disconnect
-RIGID lights from the factory
-JBL removable Bluetooth audio that plays through the truck speakers when docked
-14" infotainment
-Snorkle
-Center dump high-flow exhaust
-Adaptive cruise and full safety suite on EVERY trim level standard equipment
-Exterior lights on the bedsides to help set up camp in the dark
-Air compressor connection in the bed
-Sunroof
-Factory rock sliders that support 2,000 lbs. of force
-Hybrid powertrain option that leads the class in torque and MPG at the same time

The guys at Ford just choked on their coffee. They're about to release a brand new truck that already looks 10 years old, and Toyota drops this bomb on them? Ouch.
Sponsored

Last edited: