• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustPassingBy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
Occupation
Retired
I don't think you need to worry. I'm sure a Ranger PHEV will have the same hybrid design (electric motor encapsulated inside the 10-speed automatic transmission) as the F-150 Powerboost and the Explorer hybrid. The output shaft of this transmission goes right into the standard transfer case. This is part of the beauty of Ford's Powerboost hybrid design. Ford often refers to this as their rear-wheel drive hybrid system.

The Maverick's hybrid design is the same as the Ford Escape hybrid. It is a radically different design utilizing an eCVT transmission and while it is an elegant and efficent system it is not robust enough for heavy duty towing, hauling, or off roading. Ford often refers to this as their front-wheel drive hybrid system.
Thanks for that. What you describe makes a lot of sense given a desire for a PHEV Bronco solution too, to counter the Jeep 4Xe. It reminded me that the Aussie mag, Car Expert, reported a leak way back before the Ranger even launched that a PHEV would be available. I went back to see what they said back in May 2020:-
"The final engine being offered for both Ranger and Everest, although unlikely to be available immediately at launch {referring to the Aussie launch], is a 2.3-litre turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine with a plug-in hybrid system. The Ranger and Everest PHEV will produce 270kW of power and 680Nm of torque, and is expected to offer a combined fuel economy of 3.0 litres of fuel per 100km." The 3.0 litres of fuel per 100km equates to 78 MPG. Latter posts reported a Ford exec saying in early 2021 that a 2024 launch for PHEV was planned. Hopefully we get information at the US launch this week, I guess now I just need the Pro Power ...
Sponsored

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
Thanks for that. What you describe makes a lot of sense given a desire for a PHEV Bronco solution too, to counter the Jeep 4Xe. It reminded me that the Aussie mag, Car Expert, reported a leak way back before the Ranger even launched that a PHEV would be available. I went back to see what they said back in May 2020:-
"The final engine being offered for both Ranger and Everest, although unlikely to be available immediately at launch {referring to the Aussie launch], is a 2.3-litre turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine with a plug-in hybrid system.
As it turns out, they've been wrong on a few things. I'm reliably informed (sort of) that there are hybrid prototypes driving around, but the engine may surprise a fair few!

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
So either there is no real surprise or Ford has done a really good job of keeping things secret. I'm hoping they are good secret keepers.
If my memory serves me correct, the Maverick's base engine being a hybrid (let alone a hybrid powertrain in existence period) was information that never really circulated around the MTC forums prior to launch. I remember some speculation of a hybrid being an option powertrain in the future, but I think many at that time still believed the 1.5L I-3 was going to be the base engine at launch.

Maybe Ford will pull another surprise where a hybrid is the base engine (most likely in RWD standard w/ 4WD as an option). It's a reach I know, but it will still be rather impressive. I just hope any hybrid Ranger is in the 30's regarding MPG's. Once again another reach, but one can hope.

Chris D Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 and Edge
Occupation
Network Operations Manager
The knock some have on the PHEV and it does have merit is you do lose payload and you are carrying around the extra weight on raod trips when it's not really helping. I'll take that trade off for the city mpg and the power on board.

Sponsored

TheQuixotic1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick, 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV.
Occupation
ATC
I feel like the most recent comments are getting my hopes up for a HEV or PHEV announcement tomorrow and I don't need that kind of excitement in my life!

Making my head swirl with "well, the Bronco and Ranger are being built in the same plant that built the C-Max, so they definitely have the ability to make HEVs and PHEVs at that plant..."
Ford Ranger Official: US Spec 2024 Ranger + Ranger Raptor Debut on May 10! endgame dont give me hope

TheQuixotic1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ATC
I don't think you need to worry. I'm sure a Ranger PHEV will have the same hybrid design (electric motor encapsulated inside the 10-speed automatic transmission) as the F-150 Powerboost and the Explorer hybrid. The output shaft of this transmission goes right into the standard transfer case. This is part of the beauty of Ford's Powerboost hybrid design. Ford often refers to this as their rear-wheel drive hybrid system.

The Maverick's hybrid design is the same as the Ford Escape hybrid. It is a radically different design utilizing an eCVT transmission and while it is an elegant and efficent system it is not robust enough for heavy duty towing, hauling, or off roading. Ford often refers to this as their front-wheel drive hybrid system.
Where would the Lincoln Aviator's AWD PHEV system fall into that mix? Would you think that would be a viable system to utilize in the Ranger if they had a viable way to bump the tow rating from the Aviator's 5600 to something closer to 6500/7000?

BadBoyBillyRaptorRanger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The only trim that matters is the Raptor!

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT || 2023 Escape PHEV
As it turns out, they've been wrong on a few things. I'm reliably informed (sort of) that there are hybrid prototypes driving around, but the engine may surprise a fair few!
Oh my gosh, Billy! You just told us that the engine in the Ranger hybrid is not the 2.3 Ecoboost! That means all of the leaks to the automotive press has been one giant misdirection! Reminds me of Ford having everyone convinced that it was going to be the Bronco Warthog instead of Bronco Raptor. This is killing me!

Okay, since we know its not the 2.3 Ecoboost, I see a few possible alternatives which makes the guessing a challenge since Ford has so many arrows in their quiver. Here are some possibilities:

1. The 2.5 Atkinson cycle engine that is in the Escape/Maverick.

No way. This would be a dud/dog in a Ranger.

2. The 3.3 base engine (naturally aspirated) in the F-150

This is a possibility, but it would not be that exciting and it would likely not compete well with what Toyota has coming for the hybrid Tacoma.

3. The 3.0 Ecoboost in the Aviator PHEV as suggested by (@TheQuixotic1).

OMG, that would be exciting but that would result in a Ranger PHEV blowing away the Ranger Raptor when it comes to HP and torque. Not sure Ford would do that.

4. The 2.7 Ecoboost that is an optional engine in the Bronco.

This makes the most sense to me. It would be an amazing performer when combined with a hybrid system, it would likely outperform the Tacoma hybrid and it does not overshadow the Ranger Raptor. In addition, the MAP assembly line already installs these in Broncos. I'm betting that this is it.

5. The all new 2.3 Ecoboost going into the new Mustang

Almost forgot about this possibility. This all new 2.3 has dual injection and improved specs. This also would be a good bet for the Ranger hybrid.

Last edited:

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT || 2023 Escape PHEV
Where would the Lincoln Aviator's AWD PHEV system fall into that mix? Would you think that would be a viable system to utilize in the Ranger if they had a viable way to bump the tow rating from the Aviator's 5600 to something closer to 6500/7000?
The Aviator is a unibody platform which is a limiting factory in tow ratings. The Ranger, being a body on frame, would not have that limitation. It would be an amazing hybrid system in a Ranger.

Sponsored

TheQuixotic1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ATC
Oh my gosh, Billy! You just told us that the engine in the Ranger hybrid is not the 2.3 Ecoboost! That means all of the leaks to the automotive press has been one giant misdirection! Reminds me of Ford having everyone convinced that it was going to be the Bronco Warthog instead of Bronco Raptor. This is killing me!

Okay, since we know its not the 2.3 Ecoboost, I see a few possible alternatives which makes the guessing a challenge since Ford has so many arrows in their quiver. Here are some possibilities:

1. The 2.5 Atkinson cycle engine that is in the Escape/Maverick.

No way. This would be a dud/dog in a Ranger.

2. The 3.3 base engine (naturally aspirated) in the F-150

This is a possibility, but it would not be that exciting and it would likely not compete well with what Toyota has coming for the hybrid Tacoma.

3. The 3.0 Ecoboost in the Aviator PHEV as suggested by (@TheQuixotic1).

OMG, that would be exciting but that would result in a Ranger PHEV blowing away the Ranger Raptor when it comes to HP and torque. Not sure Ford would do that.

4. The 2.7 Ecoboost that is an optional engine in the Bronco.

This makes the most sense to me. It would be an amazing performer when combined with a hybrid system, it would likely outperform the Tacoma hybrid and it does not overshadow the Ranger Raptor. In addition, the MAP assembly line already installs these in Broncos. I'm betting that this is it.
Personally, I like the idea of a 2.7l hybrid better than a 3.0l hybrid. And I would probably love a 2.3l hybrid most of all; my Ranger would be a pavement princess 98% of its life (maybe ~93% when we get a camper) and efficiency/practicality rules the roost for me.

I was more or less wondering if the hybrid system would be something they would have to ground-up for the 2.7l or could they "steal" everything from the 3.0l for an "easy" swap to the 2.7l? Same could then be true for the 2.3l then as well.

If they couldn't easily migrate things from the 3.0l hybrid to the 2.7l, would it make more sense for them to adapt the 3.0l hybrid to the Ranger outright? Your logic of hybrid performance numbers overshadowing Raptor numbers makes sense.

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Raptor (Cactus Gray)
Oh my gosh, Billy! You just told us that the engine in the Ranger hybrid is not the 2.3 Ecoboost!
Keep in mind that Bill is in Australia so what he may (or may not) know about could be for his market and not necessarily the US market.

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
Ok. We are a day away from the official NA reveal. There should be photo leaks of any special variants this evening. The Lightning and ROW Ranger had leaks about 12 hours prior to the official reveal.

CandianRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
what is a Ranger School exactly? I know when they introduced the 5G in USA in 2019, they had several nationwide "driving clinics" where you could sign up in advance and get invite to show up and test drive 1 on a little obstacle course and get all the details. Closest to me back then was 400+ miles and I decided not to go. Will this Ranger School be similar to that?
It's going to similar to the Bronco Off Roedeo....

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
If my memory serves me correct, the Maverick's base engine being a hybrid (let alone a hybrid powertrain in existence period) was information that never really circulated around the MTC forums prior to launch. I remember some speculation of a hybrid being an option powertrain in the future, but I think many at that time still believed the 1.5L I-3 was going to be the base engine at launch.

Maybe Ford will pull another surprise where a hybrid is the base engine (most likely in RWD standard w/ 4WD as an option). It's a reach I know, but it will still be rather impressive. I just hope any hybrid Ranger is in the 30's regarding MPG's. Once again another reach, but one can hope.
that's my recollection from MTC too. Everyone was looking at Bronco Sport (built on same line in same factory) and to a lesser extent Escape for drivetrain possibilities. The base motor in the BS is the dreaded Dragon 3cyl 1.5L and (I believe) same for Escape. Then you could option up to 2.0L on the BS and (I think?) Escape + then option that 1 further to the hybrid.

I was in a similar situation then with Maverick as I am now with Ranger. NO WAY was I buying a truck with 1.5L 3cyl and only FWD. It HAD TO have option for the 2.0 ECO boost + AWD or I was out on that vehicle. Now, I'm where I HAVE TO have the SCab + 6' bed or Ranger is off my list too and I keep the Maverick.

IMO, Ford DID surprise all of us with the Reservation system before you could actually order a couple weeks later. I'm pretty much expecting that for Ranger tomorrow as well.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.