• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

USA Ranger Reveal: What questions remain?

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Figured I'd start a new thread for this instead of posting in one of the reveal threads where it might get lost in the hustle and bustle.

What questions do you still have about the USA Ranger that have been unanswered? Maybe it was announced and you just missed it or they haven't said anything. If it's the former, feel free to chime in and answer questions that someone may have missed themselves.

My questions:
1) Does the USA ranger also come equipped with the matrix headlight tech that the RoW has gotten? A law was recently changed that outlawed them here, so I'm hoping Ford gives us that sweet upgrade. We could always just buy the overseas headlamps and replace ourselves, but that will likely be very pricey.

2) Any MPG stats out yet?

3) Is there any storage within the bed tailgate? (like the GM trucks). So far from videos I haven't seen any indicated that there is.

4) Does the tailgate have the option to be "half lowered"? I think the outgoing ranger had this feature.

5) Is there any secure, lockable storage within the cabin? Will there be options to add "vaults" to the under-seat or center console?
Sponsored

Moto26

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, '17 F150
4) Does the tailgate have the option to be "half lowered"? I think the outgoing ranger had this feature.
On this one, I’m pretty sure it does not. However (and correct me if this is wrong), I think the reason they had that before was that the wheel wells were too narrow to fit a 4’ sheet of material between them, so they had notches to install horizontal supports up higher. The mid position of the tailgate was level with these supports. I know the Maverick is set up this way.

The new, wider Ranger has a legit 4’ space between the wheel wells, which is awesome. I don’t know how the other mid size trucks on the market compare because I haven’t looked into it enough yet, but that’s a selling point for me…

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
My main one is "Why is there no PowerBoost Ranger yet?" I find it a bit odd Ford didn't come swinging out the gate with one. That underseat storage is pretty lame, so eating some up for a battery probably won't be missed.

I'm starting to think Ford knows of some battery constraint that they are not willing to admit, therefore they are not adding any more hybrids to not eat resources used for Ford's electric vehicles.

Ranger_Pawl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Draftsman/Designer
This may have been discussed already, but I didn't see anything mentioned in the posts I read. Steel bumpers. Only on Raptor, or available on lesser trims?

JKinPA

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Occupation
Supply Chain
It was a reveal of a new model. I am holding my thoughts until ordering becomes available and more information is provided. I’m not surprised by the initial models offered, many more to come and there will be something for most but it may a be little wait. For me, the Tremor is what draws my interest. I figured that will be sometime in 24. I realize some people had their hopes on a huge variety out of the gate, I knew that wasn’t going to happen…Ford is still struggling to get the parts to make vehicles. I would rather wait with a realistic chance of getting what I ordered than have options cut/eliminated or wait for potentially years and still not get what I ordered. I am taking a deep breath and let the process play out.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is news to me. Maverick has it, 5G Ranger I don't think has it.
I may be confusing the 5g ranger with the maverick, which I did just confirm the maverick has this feature.

Although the maverick technique is different from what I'm remembering. The truck I saw this one had some little curved bars on each side of the tailgate, and you could insert the cables into this "curved" groove that would create tension on the cable and keep the tailgate halfway down. Almost like a half-moon or quarter-moon shape, and then the middle of the cable could be seated into it.

It looks like the maverick has a secondary attachment point that you swap with the cables to get the same outcome.

Either way, hope the ranger has the same feature.

JustPassingBy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
Occupation
Retired
I may be confusing the 5g ranger with the maverick, which I did just confirm the maverick has this feature.

Although the maverick technique is different from what I'm remembering. The truck I saw this one had some little curved bars on each side of the tailgate, and you could insert the cables into this "curved" groove that would create tension on the cable and keep the tailgate halfway down. Almost like a half-moon or quarter-moon shape, and then the middle of the cable could be seated into it.

It looks like the maverick has a secondary attachment point that you swap with the cables to get the same outcome.

Either way, hope the ranger has the same feature.
I didn't see the curved cable guides in one of the launch videos I watched and one of the YT reviewers specifically stated that the cable was fixed in place and didn't detach for mounting at a different position. As Moto26 said, the 48" between the wheel wells allows 4'x8's to lie flat, which is probably why it isn't an option. IIRC the GM twins only have 45.5" between the wells and assuming I'm not hallucinating, I saw a video showing it.

JustPassingBy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
Occupation
Retired
My main one is "Why is there no PowerBoost Ranger yet?" I find it a bit odd Ford didn't come swinging out the gate with one. That underseat storage is pretty lame, so eating some up for a battery probably won't be missed.

I'm starting to think Ford knows of some battery constraint that they are not willing to admit, therefore they are not adding any more hybrids to not eat resources used for Ford's electric vehicles.
I suspect, given the large unforecasted demand for the hybrid Maverick holding back shipments, that Ford held off a hybrid for the launch Ranger. It also simplifies their initial production line, along with only one cab and engine option at this time, given late availability for the 2.7l. Also pushes everyone to Raptor for high performance and rewards Ford with higher margins if people jump that way. Conversely imagine how many people would be happy with a Tremor + PowerBoost with a circa 5 sec 0-60, which would undermine Raptor, especially given the base XL/XLT start with 10.4" of ground clearance.

JustPassingBy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
Occupation
Retired
To add to OP's questions
  1. I am curious as to what fixture/attachment mechanisms there are hidden under the three plastic caps in the top of the bed rails on each side. One video I saw removed the cap but didn't show inside.
  2. What are the different on-off control situations for the in-bed 12v and 120v supplies. I.e. does the engine need to be on? Operation while moving as well as stationary? Constraints if the engine is off? Safety cut out to avoid flettening starter battery? I assume the manual should define this, when it becomes available.
  3. I'm interested in seeing full dimensioning of the bed, although realistic enough to know that is a bit unreasonable to get for a while. The reason is that I'm trying to figure out which wedge camper designs might be likely to fit on the back (after modification for the new wider bed dimensions) and still keep overall height below 82" so I can get it in the garage.
  4. ... and tongue-in-cheek, there seems to be a lot of space under the hood and above the 2.3l engine so will Ranger be the first ICE with a frunk option ;-)
All of this stuff will come in time but you asked :)

Sponsored

blksn8k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F-150 75 Bronco 70 Mach 1 68 Cougar 99 Cobra
Still wondering if 4A will be available as an option in the XLTor Lariat with the 2.7L.
I second that and am also wondering when or if they intend to bring back the Tremor package. Not being able to get either of those two will be the biggest reasons for just keeping my F-150. Well, that and the out-the-door price of the Raptor.

richman555

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda CRV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Is there anything special about those headlights on the Lariat/Raptor? Are they dynamic/adaptive or standard LED projectors?

Also, are there pop-out cup holders? I believe I have seen these in the Australian variants.

I know, these are first world problems. :blush:

chrisa6844

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Raptor and 1992 Ford F150 Nite
Occupation
Parts salesman
Is there anything special about those headlights on the Lariat/Raptor? Are they dynamic/adaptive or standard LED projectors?

Also, are there pop-out cup holders? I believe I have seen these in the Australian variants.

While having the pop out cup holders would be awesome in the states, we definitely wont be getting them... I believe its a safety issue that doesn't allow us to receive them. I'm not sure about the LED's though.

Rando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra

While having the pop out cup holders would be awesome in the states, we definitely wont be getting them... I believe its a safety issue that doesn't allow us to receive them. I'm not sure about the LED's though.
On the bright side, they can be installed after the fact.

Sponsored

Last edited: