• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

fuel tank size

LuckyMonkey7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Lightning
So while looking at the specs of the new ranger, it was disappointing to see that the fuel tank size was not increased on the regular ranger at 18.8 gallons.
Then while looking at the ranger raptor, they claim a 20.3 gallon fuel tank. A small increase but begs the question, why not have the same? AND it makes me wonder if it is a direct swap? An extra 1.5 gallons isn't a huge increase, but that is an extra 20-30 miles per tank depending.

Similarly, the australian ranger gets an 80L (21.1 gallon) fuel tank.
FWIW, consistency makes production easier and cheaper. Regulations and other crap get in the way.
Sponsored

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Raptor has WAY more power and I would expect less MPG justifying larger tank. Carryover 2.3L unchanged is logical. 2.7? V6 option does not appear available until later Summer, so maybe larger tank would be option with that?

AlloyPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Laramie Sport
I noticed the same thing. One assumes the fuel tank is 18 gallons because that's what will fit. But then Raptor, which has even more hardware under the truck, gets 2 additional gallons. Odd.

Robo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q5, VW Atlas
Leftover parts from G5? This way they dont have to reinvent the wheel. I wonder if it is the same situation with the ROW Ranger between G5 and G6?

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Raptor (Cactus Gray)
Maybe this is how they pull off a better payload compared to other mid-size trucks. A small tank was my single biggest complaint with my 5G Ranger. A 400 mile range with a truck should be the goal.

Sponsored

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
They just bolted the old tank on the new model. It saves money.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
Leftover parts from G5? This way they dont have to reinvent the wheel. I wonder if it is the same situation with the ROW Ranger between G5 and G6?
Two points, your US 5G was really a 6G wearing a 5G body, the chassis is the new version just in the old version's dimensions.
Our fuel tank scenarios is simple, the standard 5G rangers all had the same 80L tank here, and the Raptor and Everest 5G shared an also 80L tank that was a different shape. The story is the same in the new models, the normal Rangers all share an 80L tank, the Everest and Raptor share a different shaped 80L tank, however the Raptor uses the petrol version of the tank which is different again.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Where does the move of rear shocks outboard the frame rail fit into the above scenario? Our 5G doesn't have that? I'm confused šŸ˜•

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor, '13 Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
The range of my 2020 Ranger far exceeds my bladder range.
That'd be me. Also a greater range than my hips and knees seem to have. Fueling up gives me leg stretching time.

Sponsored

chrisa6844

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Raptor and 1992 Ford F150 Nite
Occupation
Parts salesman
To be honest, I donā€™t feel like the 18 gallon tank is a huge loss. My 92 F150 has a 19 gallon tank with the 5.8, and tbh going to the gas station once a week isnā€™t a huge killer. I feel like this another nitpick that people are trying to ride on.

Moto26

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, '17 F150
To be honest, I donā€™t feel like the 18 gallon tank is a huge loss. My 92 F150 has a 19 gallon tank with the 5.8, and tbh going to the gas station once a week isnā€™t a huge killer. I feel like this another nitpick that people are trying to ride on.
I dunno, my BIL has a Ranger he tows a travel trailer behind, and he carries a couple of fuel jugs in the bed so he can top off the tank at rest stops. Thatā€™s his chief complaint about his Rangerā€¦ šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

Gator21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 & Wrangler
My 2010 F150 had a 36 gallon tank and was one of my most loved features. It makes a huge difference to me on road trips having to stop multiple times, especially in certain places that have a ton of lanes/traffic off the interstate that makes stopping for gas an extra 30 minute endeavor or in places that have large gaps between gas stations. I make a long road trip every weekend to different places, and it drives me nuts having to stop a million times in my Wrangler. This was one of the biggest things I was looking to find out for the 6G.

As in everything, it depends on someoneā€™s use case whether a feature/option is important to them. But for myself and some others, it is a big deal.

chrisa6844

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Raptor and 1992 Ford F150 Nite
Occupation
Parts salesman
I dunno, my BIL has a Ranger he tows a travel trailer behind, and he carries a couple of fuel jugs in the bed so he can top off the tank at rest stops. Thatā€™s his chief complaint about his Rangerā€¦ šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø
While towing that makes sense, I could understand from that point of view. Daily driving it doesnā€™t hurt too much.

blksn8k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F-150 75 Bronco 70 Mach 1 68 Cougar 99 Cobra
Any aftermarket options for larger fuel tanks?

A quick Google search turned up a 150 liter tank for the Diesel powered Gen 1 Raptor from Brown Davis in Australia. I asked if they are planning to make something similar for gas powered gen 2...
Sponsored

Last edited: