• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

2023 New York Auto Show Reveal for 2024 Ranger?

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, XLT FX4
Occupation
Aerostructures Engineer
Patience? Hell no! We've been talking about the Gen 6 Ranger on this site since early 2019. It's time to stop 'effin around.

HRG
It's been out in ROW for over a year and not even a word about it in the US.

I don't want to reward companies who engage in shitty business practices imo
We've been talking about it, sure, but outside of this niche forum of a 1000 or so members, the vast majority of the population doesn't know or care about the 6g Ranger. So I would hardly expect Ford to rush into an announcement/reveal simply to please a fraction of those 1000 or so forum members. That's what I would consider not good business practices.

Society is so obsessed with instant gratification and wanting everything right now. The ability to transfer information has become so much faster, but the design and implementation of a product like a vehicle still takes as long as it used to, if not longer with all the additional regulations and complexity. So now everybody gets upset when they don't get to see the product immediately after it's announced as a possibility.
Sponsored

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

how is it a shitty business practice?

would it be better if they announced the US model 1.5 years ago and then encountered delays that set it back months from when they announced it would be out? that seems way more offputting to consumers than just delaying announcements until they know they can hit dates.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
From what I’ve seen so far, the twins are definitely the better lookers. All the Ranger really needs to do is offer significantly better MPGs and more cab/bed configurations. But nobody has accused Ford of knowing what they’re doing these days, so we really don’t know what we’ll end up with.
what attributes are you considering to say it "looks better"?

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

What? Only if you missed Farley's official announcements Raptor and Ranger would be hitting US market in 2023 and incremental news out of MAP about 5G balance out while limiting Bronco options as they transition to 6G. BTW: Santa Cruz took ~5 years to hit mass production after reveal at an auto show. How long did Nissan run the same Frontier platform before a major design refresh- 20 years? Tacoma has had a couple cycle refreshes, but definitely not a revolutionary overhaul incorporating the most modern technology and future bending overall design since replacing Hilux. Cybertruck? Vaporware after going on what 6? years now since Elon's flashy reveal and promises. 5G Ranger has only been available in US since MY2019 and 6G is a pretty extensive reimagining & Americanizing of an already aging platform not originally designed in or for USA market. Gotta keep this stuff in perspective.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Patience? Hell no! We've been talking about the Gen 6 Ranger on this site since early 2019. It's time to stop 'effin around.

HRG
lol. As they say talk is cheap. Ranger was gone from 2011 until reappearing in 2019 as an already old global platform. Curious how often people think a major platform upgrade and frame up redesign cycle should happen in our modern automotive economic climate?

*addendum* just little extra food for thought; no matter how any of us feels about any rollouts of new product we might be excited about- the timelines are 100% out of our control to influence to meet our individual purchase timelines. My whole life I've hated being stuck in the gray area of not being able to make a decision 1 way or the other and moving on. Accepting "hurry up and wait" as new normal here allows me to move thinking to hobbies and other good stuff as a distraction with no stress until solid news confirmed. It's my old guy substitute for partying like in my youth or therapy :rockon:

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I agree. IMO the Colorado's look better than any of the 6G Ranger trim, minus the Raptor. I'd say I like the looks about equal between the Raptor and the ZR2. The only thing I dislike about the ZR2 is the interior color scheme. The grey with the yellow accent's really isn't doing it for me. Even if it was just black with the subtle yellow accents, that would be acceptable.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. Seems most commenters prefer aggressive looking designs (especially front end) overly high clearance and oriented towards a modern Baja pre-runner look. To me, the presence of the Suburu Crosstrek styling is evident in design cues for too many vehicles from Mini vans to SUVs and all Mid and Full-size trucks.

I am pretty sure a large segment of the population still wants work trucks to look like they will work, not race, and more subdued traditional styling/comfort that still excels in urban environments and commuter assignments as well as being capable in incremental trims of off-road adventuring too without necessarily looking the part as a daily driver. I fall into that category too. I've had 4 Rangers and each was better and more advanced than the last- and trims could be had from mild to (semi) wild. My tastes are definitely changing along with aging, and I prize function over looks in a non-assuming tamer truck form. No big lifts, for ease of everyday use and no fancy wheels and flashy paint or stickers to draw unwanted attention. Yep, old and boring but can hold it's own towing my camper on dirt roads with a few minor obstacles on the way to my campsite, MX track, forest trail heads with bikes, dump runs, larger in bed loads than my SUV or Maverick and respectable power with decent MPG for a couple longer trips per year getting to destinations I enjoy.

Yep, pretty much like that boring White 6G we see pictures of. For me XL, SCab with 6' bed, optioned up to FX-2 max is the perfect solution. Fortunately, that doesn't appeal to many these days so my chances of getting mine sooner should be way better than the Raptor, Tremor, and WildTrak crowd. Thanks for that :p:cool:

Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe Z71, Mustang GT
what attributes are you considering to say it "looks better"?
Obviously just my opinion but the Colorado looks considerably cleaner front to back while the canyon is a great combo of futuristic and tough without looky goofy, which I think the non-Raptor 6g’s suffer from immensely. Not to mention the excellent stance, and interiors of the twins. I know it’s crazy to be envious of a GM truck interior but that Canyon Denali interior looks fantastic to me ….and they BOTH have a sunroof

OH3Cobra

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby, 2003 Cobra, 2002 Miata, 2013 SRT8 300
Occupation
Sales
I made the prediction in another thread that the 6G reveal would be NYC. We'll see if my tarot cards work. Order banks open 5/26 so the reveal has to be imminent.

Snkrjeff020

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi RS3
Occupation
Medical Scientist
I made the prediction in another thread that the 6G reveal would be NYC. We'll see if my tarot cards work. Order banks open 5/26 so the reveal has to be imminent.
Before that date, it was 4/17, so I feel like dates can always change.

I think the frustration that we are all feeling is seeing ROW with theirs for over a year, plus seeing all the spy shots of ours, and not even a mention. Meanwhile, the biggest competitor, the Tacoma has already been teased twice this week, which we all know Toyota is usually very hush hush until the reveal. So with all that, I think people and myself included, are just getting antsy. I am hopeful we get some news soon too.

DirtyRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Ranger
From what I’ve seen so far, the twins are definitely the better lookers. All the Ranger really needs to do is offer significantly better MPGs and more cab/bed configurations. But nobody has accused Ford of knowing what they’re doing these days, so we really don’t know what we’ll end up with.
The Canyon should be the only real competition of those two. I had the opportunity to check out the new Colorado and Frontier. As long as the Lariat is well made, it will trounce the Chevy and Nissan. The new Z71 is very stylish, but the interior felt cheap and scratchy. The Pro-4X's insides were lifted straight out of a 5 year old Rogue.

The Denali should be on-par or above the int'l Platinum, but I'd hope so for a 60k+ midsize truck.

Sponsored

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
I really hope it's revealed then. Rumors are that the Tacoma might have 1 or 2 hybrid powertrains. That would be a big punch in the mid-size truck market and would probably pull customers from the hybrid markets and possibly the compact pickup market, too. Unless Ford has a PowerBoost Ranger they will announce, Toyota might come in and steal the show.

The only benefit of the doubt I can give Ford is seeing how they kept the info on the Maverick's base engine being a hybrid almost unknow up to launch day. Maybe this is what will happen with Ranger... it feels like a stretch at this point, though.

TheQuixotic1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick, 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV.
Occupation
ATC
The Canyon should be the only real competition of those two. I had the opportunity to check out the new Colorado and Frontier. As long as the Lariat is well made, it will trounce the Chevy and Nissan. The new Z71 is very stylish, but the interior felt cheap and scratchy. The Pro-4X's insides were lifted straight out of a 5 year old Rogue.

The Denali should be on-par or above the int'l Platinum, but I'd hope so for a 60k+ midsize truck.
I just looked at the Canyon Denali and it is very appealing... right up until you consider the engine performance to fuel economy. That amount of power for 19 mpg combined is a big detraction for me; the 20+ threshold is much stronger psychologically than I thought it would be.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I really hope it's revealed then. Rumors are that the Tacoma might have 1 or 2 hybrid powertrains. That would be a big punch in the mid-size truck market and would probably pull customers from the hybrid markets and possibly the compact pickup market, too. Unless Ford has a PowerBoost Ranger they will announce, Toyota might come in and steal the show.

The only benefit of the doubt I can give Ford is seeing how they kept the info on the Maverick's base engine being a hybrid almost unknow up to launch day. Maybe this is what will happen with Ranger... it feels like a stretch at this point, though.
Stuff to consider for sure. Let me add another: Toyotas claim to fame on hybrids is Prius and RAV4. Would a hybrid Tacoma option really be a big seller in general population or even cannibalize their SUV hybrid offerings if it took off?

DirtyRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Ranger
I just looked at the Canyon Denali and it is very appealing... right up until you consider the engine performance to fuel economy. That amount of power for 19 mpg combined is a big detraction for me; the 20+ threshold is much stronger psychologically than I thought it would be.
The power to displacement of the Canyon HO variant is identical to the 2.7 V6 ecoboost while maintaining the <hopefully> lower maintenance of a single bank engine. This would put it's MPG estimates right where it should be.

If the standard output engine in the Colorado has those same numbers, then yeah that's abysmal compared to the already-proven 2.3.

Perhaps a positive takeaway is that it will force Ford's hand into putting the 2.7 V6 into the Ranger. But if they did, I doubt you'd get it in a supercab XL.

To me, the downside to the whole situation is that we're starting to get fullsize truck fuel economy with what benefits? $15 a month less on insurance? My buddy's 10 year old 4WD 5.3 Silverado hit 25mpg on our roadtrip a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

telenerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, Subaru Crosstrek
Obviously just my opinion but the Colorado looks considerably cleaner front to back while the canyon is a great combo of futuristic and tough without looky goofy, which I think the non-Raptor 6g’s suffer from immensely. Not to mention the excellent stance, and interiors of the twins. I know it’s crazy to be envious of a GM truck interior but that Canyon Denali interior looks fantastic to me ….and they BOTH have a sunroof
Is it just me or does the Canyon/Colorado look like a mix between a power ranger and transformer?
Sponsored