• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Azure Gray Metallic Tri-Coat extra cost reason?

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
Your other option is Paint Protection Film. It’s quite expensive, but you also don’t have to do the entire vehicle. But you could just do it on the doors and fenders to protect from brush and branches on tighter trails. Plus it might help with door impacts in parking lots or the scratches on the door handles you get from jewelry (that my wife swears aren’t her fault).

Oxford White would be the best for the trail guys because you won’t see pinstripes from bushes at all. I just don’t dig on white trucks, especially with the black grill, because it ends up looking like a commercial work truck.
Sponsored

ssjx7squall

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
I really like it. 1000$ was worth it to me. But yeah, it made my expensive order even more so for sure.
I would have gotten it but 1k is a bit rich for me especially when I’m fine with black. Granted I was trying to get away from black as I live in the SW and it’s hot as hell but I like it regardless. I care more about my wallet than a special color that will be a nightmare to maintain under the sun here

ssjx7squall

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
Your other option is Paint Protection Film. It’s quite expensive, but you also don’t have to do the entire vehicle. But you could just do it on the doors and fenders to protect from brush and branches on tighter trails. Plus it might help with door impacts in parking lots or the scratches on the door handles you get from jewelry (that my wife swears aren’t her fault).

Oxford White would be the best for the trail guys because you won’t see pinstripes from bushes at all. I just don’t dig on white trucks, especially with the black grill, because it ends up looking like a commercial work truck.

Your last paragraph is exactly why I wouldn’t go with white. Now if ford wasn’t so conservative and did some flashy accents like Nissan does with their pro x and pro 4x packages with the red Nissan logo and the like that might be a different story

Snkrjeff020

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi RS3
Occupation
Medical Scientist
I would have gotten it but 1k is a bit rich for me especially when I’m fine with black. Granted I was trying to get away from black as I live in the SW and it’s hot as hell but I like it regardless. I care more about my wallet than a special color that will be a nightmare to maintain under the sun here
For sure, I can't fault anyone for choosing a less expensive color (I almost just went with velocity blue just to save a bit), but I figured this is my dream truck, I deserve it haha!

ssjx7squall

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
For sure, I can't fault anyone for choosing a less expensive color (I almost just went with velocity blue just to save a bit), but I figured this is my dream truck, I deserve it haha!

That’s fair. You got a raptor right? This is my dream truck too (I got a lariat) but I also have to worry about my budget lol. This is the first vehicle I’m buying on my own

Sponsored

Cavemold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
It has extra layer of protection and color but as much i like it, give me velocity blue or hot pepper red!

Labradorguy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I am torn.

If it was Lightning Blue, Atlas Blue, or Performance Blue...done. However, I just am not a fan of Velocity Blue.

Code Orange...done.

So, I am waffling back and forth....Azure or Cactus.

I went to the local dealership...and Cactus looks good on the current Ranger.

Azure looked good on the F150 Lightning. Honestly, it was a tad too much with the painted bumpers...but with the RR having a notable amount of black (bumpers, grill, fender flares, etc) , I think that will soften or break up the color.

Area 51 on an F150....NOT FOR ME. Having seen Azure next to an Area 51...they are very different.

I keep going back to the launch videos...and I think Azure looks good in those. A few of the reviewers made the comment of how good it looked or that it would be their choice.

Anyone else on the fence between Azure and Cactus?

I placed my order for Azure but can change it....aaargh. Ford, why not have better colors!!!!

OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
There's an Azure Lightning in my parking lot. Its a bit too much. Its a very large vehicle. Yes if the bumpers were another color it would not be over done. Still a cool color, stands out. I think i am a Cactus Grey Guy.

GrumpyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger
Tri-Coat is just an extra layer of paint. Instead of Primer, Base, Clear it’s Primer, Base, Mid, Clear. That mid coat can have adders like pearl or flake. It’s an extra whole pass and drying cycle in the plant.
Almost correct.
  • For standard colors the process is Prime, Base, Base, Clear, Clear. So there are 2 passes of basecoat to build the thickness and the color.
  • For Tri-Coat colors the process is Prime, Ground Coat, Mid Coat, Clear, Clear. The ground coat builds the color and the mid coat creates the pearl and depth.
    • There is no extra drying cycle between coats.
Tri-Coat colors cost more because the actual paint costs significantly more.
(Also, the Mid-Coat takes an extra tank/paint system, which adds cost for maintenance and cleaning.)

-Grumpy
Sponsored